Thursday, February 16, 2017

Oh, I Remember This!

On the news this morning, they were talking about the Horsetail Falls in Yosemite. Surely a beautiful sight if you are so lucky to be in the right place at the right time.




It prompted a conversation of a memory I had of a trip to Yosemite when I was 6 or 7 making it 1964 there or about. One of the nights we were hanging out in a meadow waiting for it to get dark. Then the excitement rose when a fire could be seen at the very top of the mountain. After a while fire started tumbling down like a waterfall. It wasn't as picturesque as the postcards had captured it, but it was still pretty, and it didn't last long. 

When I told my husband what I remembered about it, he thought I was wrong and that maybe we were all in the valley to see the Horsetail Fall at sunset. 

No! That wasn't how it was. It was well after sunset and it was dark.

So I googled, "fire falls in Yosemite in the 1960's" and got a bit giddy when, sure enough, right there were websites about it. First I click on the Yosemite Firefalls, and it described exactly what I remembered.




I have a few other memories of that trip. Playing in the river, or a creek with my sister. I remember hiking up to some falls. It was a long and at times steep hike. I remember being on my brother, who was over 6 feet tall, shoulders. Once up there, there was a metal rail at the edge where I remember looking over, wondering if I could or if I did see my mom resting on the bridge below waiting for us to come back down. I remember the mist and the sound of the fall as it cascaded over the edge. I remember sleeping in the back of the station wagon. I remember there were bear cabinets in our campsite. 

I have only been back once since then and it was when my boys were about the same age in 1989. We walked some of the same paths I had walked those many years ago. We rode bikes were I never did. We created so many memories. 

How blessed I am to have been having adventures my entire life!

What a 'Journey'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails