Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'm Being Attacked...

Sometimes from all sides!

How can one person have so much time to waste figuring out ways to hurt other people?

I need your help.

6 years ago I passed along my son's Christening gown with good faith it would be used for the 'Grands' blessing. It was not! Nor was it used for the other two. My husbands grandmother sewed it for our twins Christening. It has great sentimental value.


Now it is being held against it's will.
When the divorce happened, she took it with her. I feel this was an item that should have been left with our son. Now she claims it was gifted to her. When in fact it was gifted to both of them as many of the items we passed along were. It holds no meaning to her at all. Except for the fact it has meaning to us and she wants to hurt us.

Here is where I need your help. I will also be getting advice from other sources...but what would you do? If you were in her position, would you keep it or give it back? If you were in my position, would you file a petition to the courts for her to return the item?

We have prayed on this, and feel God will guide us as he has in other ways.

Have I just stepped over the line by boldly blogging?

Tonight I feel like we are being attacked from all sides.

4 comments:

  1. Hi this is just very sad, I wish divorce would not bring out the worst in people, but it does and it is usually out of spite to try and hurt someone. Is there anyway you could talk to her or is it your son, could he talk to her. I would try that before I took her to court. I hope it all works out and that you get your treasures back.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never understood the need to hold anything hostage because of bitterness. I feel since it came from your family and holds sentimental significance only to your family, that she should return it immediately. When I got my divorce, I asked my former MIL if she wanted the christening dress, that had been passed down in their family, back. She was so sweet and asked that I keep it and give it to my son for his first child, so I did. It will be passed down again someday. My former MIL has since passed away and I am so thankful that we have the dress, who knows what would have happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth: Wow. Just Wow. First off, Im so sorry this is happening. I can say if it were me, I would have returned the gown. When my Ex and i divorced we insured we each got back what we brought into it, and if it was something that was "gifted" during the marriage... it depended upon who it came from or what we intended to use it for in the future. Heck, just 2yrs ago my Ex and I finally stopped swapping back and forth furniture from our marriage! We figured instead of getting rid of the furniture or selling it as we replaced the stuff, we passed it onto one another if the person wanted it. I guess I should count my blessings we get along!!

    I dont know how your Son gets along with the ex (Im assuming not well), but is there any way he could get the gown back from his ex? There is simply no reason for her to have it.
    Could he request it back as part of his divorce settlement??

    I will pray for you and that you are able to have this special item returned. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I certainly would return it to your family if I was her.

    Is it her intentions to give it to your grands one day for their kids?

    I don't know, I think given you have just recently seen your grands (and I am not sure under what circumstances) I would maybe let it go...but, I would not do so without trying to calmly reason with her (if this can be done).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails